Advice I've adopted

What are the practices that have been most helpful for me that I would recommend to my friends?

Abandon social media

Avoid watching/reading the news. It gave me a very dark, inaccurate impression of the world. I still look up sports results constantly, however.

Adopt financial planning, even at its simplest. Budget weekly or monthly. Get a pension going. Articulate your financial goals. Be deliberate about where you put your savings

Play a sport. Any sport at any level you can manage. 1) It's important to practice fair play 2) It's good for your health and your social life. 

Simplify your life: Inventory your stuff and cull the things you don't value. I own: two capsule wardrobes (business and casual), a guitar, a bike, a pile of books, and a laptop. 

Every so often (daily, monthly - whatever you can manage) sit down and write for a few minutes. The topic can be a problem you're having, how your weekend went, your love of McDonald's chicken nuggets - anything. The point is to practice thinking through something rather than being sort of shallow and reactionary. 

If unwilling to pray or engage with anything explicitly religious, explore adding at least some element of spirituality into your life...Every so often I'll wander into a church and sit and reflect for a bit. It feels nice. There's not much more I want to say on this. 

A useful Jordan Peterson-ism: Resist the temptation to be a victim and take at least some responsibility for the suffering that comes your way. Not a direct quote but the sentiment has helped me. 

Your environment informs what you believe is possible (I heard someone say this and wrote it down). So try and fill your environment with exceptional people and beauty. I've started with keeping my room tidy. Maybe you can absorb some brilliance and beauty and manifest it yourself. 

Read books that weren't written in the past five years (the idea is to avoid current bestsellers and choose instead books that have stayed around once the initial marketing push subsides)

Learn to cook a bit. Even the fundamentals will help save a huge amount of money, eat healthier, and entertain guests. And it's really satisfying. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ditching alcohol

Avoiding the news cycle